(AddOn updated on 13/8/2018, relevant version is 1.6, base version 1.5 + additional files that add starting points (docks, heliports) and water runways; there has been an error with the download of airports file that has been repaired now)
Croatia X – Drvenik Islands DEMO area is a fully functional freeware showcase scenery enhancing add-on for FSX, FSX:SE and P3D. It covers a small area in the Dalmatian coastline region of Croatia (EU) – the archipelago of Drvenik islands. Now with the updated textures, flattened helipads, some added objects, minor corrections and seen through P3D v4 – it looks even more stunning (just look at the gallery).
Why Drveniks? Their small size, the presence of numerous features shared with a wider archipelago group and at the same time representing a complete unit within a bigger unit made them ideal testing grounds for ideas. The principles, knowledge and the prepared material will be used and expanded to cover the Croatia X – Split archipelago (Brac, Hvar, Solta, Korcula, Vis) which is anticipated in 2019/20.
Our scenery places vectors, polygons, default FSX and custom autogen objects at their real-life locations, determined by the available geographical data, as follows:
- custom land class summer and winter textures (this is not a photoreal underlay)
- custom elevation model for the archipelago
- roads, beaches, settlement, coastline and other vector based features
- typical houses with different textures and roof shapes according to region;
- regionally-adapted churches and chapels; unfinished church of Sv. Juraj, chapel of Sv. Nikola; church is also lit up by night
- ports and its features;
- some creative freedom was used when it comes to car ferry ship (default FSX with a custom repaint in the colours of the local company); the same freedom needed to be used with the piers which needed to be extended into the water much more then in a real life for the ferry to dock successfully; the ferry runs only between both islands again not faithfully representing the actual line or its schedule but giving the scenery dynamics and the right feel;
- vegetation and greenery is faithfully recreated according to the data and typical for the region;
- miscellaneous infrastructure objects, such as telephone poles, antennae, cell towers, and the like;
- two helicopter landing sites: N43°91’, E16 4.93’ (Drvenik Mali), N43°26.72’, E16 8.60’ (Drvenik Veli), closest airport to the islands is Split (LDSP)
- both ports in the settlements are illuminated by street lights;
- DRVENIK (DVN) NDB positioned on the island, very near the Drvenik Veli port – the default FSX representation is enhanced by our cellular station-like structure,
- hand-placed objects from custom-built and default FSX libraries, such as buildings, boats, vehicles, vegetation and the like, to complement overall impression and create lively and vibrant landscape,
- compatible with Orbx FTX Global and FTX Vector.
UPDATE 1.6 notes:
After a while, the add-on did not make sense without the possibility to start on the location of the islands. While you could land there, you could not start your trip on the islands. Now you can. The update adds starting points for two options that can be accommodated: float-planes and helicopters. I would imagine trips between the islands and in the direction of LDSP and LDSB.
LDS1 – Drvenik Veli Seaplane Harbour (base) with water runway and harbour dock. Watch out for the ferry!
LDS2 – Drvenik Veli Heliport
LDS3 – Drvenik Mali Seaplane Harbour (base) with water runway and harbour dock
LDS4 – Drvenik Mali Heliport
(PS turn off the collision detection – it has never been correctly simulated anyway)
For a complete experience of the region, the following products are highly recommended:
- other products covering the region, including Orbx FTX Global, Vector and LC Europe;
- the trees will appear more authentic with the freeware TreeX addon or Orbx FTX Global Trees HD
- modified terrain textures config file by Richard Ludowise and Luis Feliz-Tirado, available for