Kredarica hut complex along with Mt. Triglav and Aljaz’s tower on top of it achieved almost a mythological place in Slovenian culture and mind-set. It is inseparably woven into the national essence and national pride, representing and summing up the country, its history and its epic path towards independence. As a symbol it has not lost the appeal among younger generations who still look up to it in awe and religiously climb to the top, be it summer or winter.
The addon is a spin-off achievement of an elective course Space and media taught in 2018 at the Faculty of Architecture, University of Ljubljana, where the students, studied the notion of identity in digital environments in a combination with the development of their digital design skills. Kredarica was chosen as a case study, because it offers numerous objects and buildings while being manageable in scope and also well documented. Students have learned efficient modelling techniques, texture design and texture mapping, while at the same time looking for recognisability and essence of the spatial character the complex conveys in real and now also, in digital environment.
While the modelling and texture design were essential in the process of add-on making, there were many other things that again served as testing ground for our future projects. For the first time we looked into the seasonality of objects (beyond the greenery that has been done before), conditional visibility, object and character animation.
Among the key features you will find:
- Detailed custom models of Kredarica buildings, including the main hut, additional huts, meteo station, different platforms and the chapel of Marija Snežna (Our lady of the Snows), Aljaz’s tower on the top of Mt Triglav
- Custom objects (windmills, antennae, benches, tables, etc) and people (static and animated: climbers, mountaineers, hikers)
- Photo-real replicated underlay texture (two seasonal)
- Season and condition depending objects: snow cover on and around the buildings, winter and summer objects, people appearing according to conditions and seasons
- Animated windmills that show the direction and intensity of the wind
- Two landable helicopter platforms
- The add-on relies on SimObjectDisplayEngine (SODE)
Model and texture design: main Kredarica hut – M. Salek, B. Ergul; accompanying two huts – K. Grzeskowiak, H. Dolfen, A. Pach, K. Najgebauer; chapel – J. Deconinck, P. Horta; Aljaz’s tower – L. Wei; other models, objects and people – Ilumium Simulation; Adaptation, modifications, compiling for simulator use and distribution by Ilumium Simulation.
Important note: While Slovenia X or Slovenia X Photoreal are not essential for the use of this add-on, the product is adapted especially for them in terms of colour tuning, landclass textures and Slovenia X’s highly detailed LOD13 elevation model. Objects and their position might not be depicted correctly without Slovenia X or Slovenia X Photoreal installed and the experience not as fulfilling.
Important note 2: use the appropriate installer depending on weather you are installing for Slovenia X (v1.0) or Slovenia X Photoreal (v1.1)
Important note 3: Slovenia X users should read Triglav Kredarica user guide and turn off the existing flatten for generic Kredarica heliport.